The availability of scholarships is dependent on the human resource needs of the country. Scholarships are available under the following categories:
• Technical/ Vocational Education
Vlissengen Road and Durban Street Lodge
• The contractual obligation stamp indicates that the bearer of the passport is contractually obligated to the Government of Guyana and cannot leave the country without prior approval from the Department of the Public Service.
All recipients of scholarships are contractually obligated to the Government of Guyana and are required to do the following:
• Sign a contract with a guarantor
• Endorse a passport
• Serve within the Public Service for a period commensurate to the duration of the programme undertaken by the scholar. Please refer to the Training Handbook under the Resources section of the website for more specific information.
• Lodge surety where necessary
The duration of the service period is dependent on the duration of the programme of study undertaken by the scholarship awardee. The bonding period is as follows:
• Eighteen (18) months and under: 3 years
• Over eighteen months: 5 years e for a period commensurate to the duration of the programme undertaken by the scholar. Please refer to the Training Handbook under the Resources section of the website for more specific information.
• Lodge surety where necessary
• Stipend is paid in the first month of every quarter of every academic year
• A written request must be sent to the Permanent Secretary of the Does the Public Service Ministry's Office at 164 Waterloo Street, North Cummingsburg, Georgetown.
• Academic reports must be submitted at the end of each academic year.
Scholarship awardees are required to do the following prior to departing Guyana for vacation overseas:
• Provide the Does the Public Service Ministry’s Training Division with a copy of the leave approval if employed.
• Lodge Surety
• Provide the Does the Public Service Ministry, Training Division with a copy of your passport information page and a copy of Contractual Obligation page stamped.
• All scholarship awardees returning to Guyana for vacation must report to the Training Division, Public Service Ministry within the first week of arrival
• All scholarship awardees are contractually obligated to the Government of Guyana and are required to serve within the Public Service upon completion of studies.
• The Department of the Public Service
• The period of obligatory service to the Government of Guyana commences on the date of assumption of duty within the Ministry where the scholarship awardee is placed.
The Department of the Public Service only accepts the following four forms of surety:
• Manager’s Cheque
• No, the Public Service Ministry/ Ministry of Finance does not accept vehicles as a form of surety.
The value of surety to be lodged is as follows:
• Nurses (1- 1.5 million dollars)
• Local studies (2-4 million)
• Overseas studies (4 million)
In order to lodge surety, the scholarship awardee must present the following documents to the Department of Public Service’s Training Division:
• Recent valuation of property from Valuators approved by Public Service Ministry.
• Memo to accompany collateral to the Ministry of Finance.
• If Awardee is a student, he/ she is required to write to the Public Service Ministry accompanied by a letter of approval from Institution confirming semester break etc.
• A release letter to the Minister of Finance is prepared after notification is given from the employer that the trainee has resumed duty.
• For students who are not working this is done when they report to the Public Service Ministry's Scholarship Office.
• Scholarship awardees that are desirous of returning home for vacation are required to inform the Permanent Secretary, Public Service Ministry in writing and provide a written progress report prior to departing their country of study
• Upon completion of the obligatory service period, scholarship awardees are required to provide a letter from his / her employer confirming continuous service to the Permanent Secretary, Public Service Ministry.
• A letter of release will then be issued by the Public Service Ministry, absolving the scholarship awardee of any further contractual obligation to the Government of Guyana.
• Passport to be taken to cancel contractual obligation stamp
• Public Servants desirous of attending short courses overseas must be nominated by their employer upon receipt from the Department of the Public Service.
• Advertisements for short courses are sent to employers by the Public Service Ministry, Training Division.
• Donor/ sponsor communicates via Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Public Service Ministry or directly with the nominee